I have no idea what to say. Between Thursday the 15th of May and Sunday the 18th I have seen the following bands and solo acts:
The Janitors of God; Shades of Guru; Shabadoo 3.0; Matthew Fischer & The Fishes x 2
Count The Thief x 2 ; TSOS; Caramel Camel; Panic Station; Deadtown Trash ; Superhans; Ramsey Judson; Plastic Section x 2; The Ladz; Mothers Superior; Monomania; Sangsom Massacre; Sticky Rice; Tapestry; Eico; Kinetics x 2; aire; popdub. That's 22 bands or solo artists over 4 days. Yowsa.
Lately, I feel like I am standing in the middle of a tornado trying to catch sound bytes from flying debris. ADHD is crippling my mind and productivity. I sometimes wake up and hear music from the night before... in my head. Anyway, the following are some fond memories of 4 days of rockin n rolling. You will notice I am experimenting with different layouts in preparation and practice for the zine.
Plastic Section (or DEAD PLASTIC FISHES?)
THE STATE OF SOCIETY (TSOS)
COUNT THE THIEF
Matthew & the fishes
- Marc Savlov, esteemed arts and music journalist for the Austin Chronicle is writing a book on punk in Thailand. If you have any insights to offer, you should speak with him - he can often be found on the front line of punk rock shows all over the city. Contact me if you want to connect.
- Kimmo Hakala of Panic Station is putting together some kind of digital radio show featuring Bangkok underground bands. Let's wish him luck and offer any assistance and guidance he may need. Remember this stuff helps all of us.
- Degaruda just returned from gigs in Kuala Lumpur. This is awesome and I hope more Bangkok bands are heading down to KL.
- I have an old friend in Hanoi who can put shows together. He plays in a band and can liaison with the venues.
- Coming soon... featured posts on Kinetics and Monomania.
- If any bands are interested in having me running social media contests: T-shirt and CD giveaways etc, contact me. Also if any bands are looking to hire a photographer for publicity photos, you know who to come to.
- Recently I went off on a Facebook rant about giving free photos to a major Bangkok news source. That had less to do about money and more to do about principles involved. I take deep pride in the work I do covering underground music in Bangkok - I've seen one too many uninformed hack writers mangle a story. I'm here to shape the narrative on underground music in Bangkok and be the public relations platform for the entire scene globally. I totally want indie bands and artists to use my photos but I draw the line at the exploitative practices of big companies.
- The Sangsom Massacre have just released their awesome first single and are now a stripped down 3-piece band. Check it out in the Bandcamp player below.
- Danny Bull's "In the Living Room" featuring video direction by Gary Boyle recently released the Chladni Chandi video. The next one will be Triggs and the Longest Day and should be out very soon.
Aire recently performed at Rehab and I recorded it from the deck. it's pretty cool. Check it out!
Their CD release party is on the 31st of May at Harmonica with a whopper of featured performers: Wednesday, Stylish Nonsense, Kinetics and LowFat!
- Last but not least, Basement Tape were on Voice TV's Big Boom Box recently. See their live performance and interview below.