Now, in 2015, Comet Records are back with the sequel: “Comic Compilation Volume Two”, featuring 12 tracks of electronic goodness by 12 very different artists. My takeaway thoughts run as follows:
- ‘Lady’ – Casinotone. Long-time scene-stalwarts Casinotone kick off the proceedings with this soulful groove complete with funk-synth and lounge vocals. “You gotta let it out…”
- ‘P./Again’ – DCNXTR. These artists, whose DNA can be traced back to the explosive Bangkok underground rock band Revenge of the Cybermen, crank out a killer retro anthem complete with drum roll echoes and a sing-a-long chorus. ‘Again and again…’
- ‘Breath’ – Morg. Spectral ambient piece with the unmistakable stamp of Siam. Morg will have an EP coming out soon, and based purely on this track you just know you’re going to have to buy it.
- ‘Anytime’ – Naked/Astronaught. Creative collective thump out a rhythmic groove that alternates moodily between menacing and mellow. Perfect soundtrack music for late nights and long drives; a theme for a life less ordinary. Naked/Astronaught also have an EP coming out this year and that has to be another must-buy for me.
- ‘Freqs’ – Elevators. Elevators is Detroit-native and Bangkok-resident Scott Hess, and his track Freqs is a mid-tempo foot-stomper that grooves along to an ever-changing synth wash that veers between trance-like and electro-funk. Nice work!
- ‘Seaman’ – Astro 302. Astro 302 are a Bangkok-based Korean duo and this track reflects a copious interest in digitalized dream pop with a pulsating back-beat.
- ‘Luminescent’ – Antoine Hermanowicz. Minimalist rhythmic vibe-drone with near-instant melodic pay-off. Tension-filled cinematic piece that would enhance any neo-noir Bangkok cyberpunk film. More!
- ‘Do The Disco’ – Gamblers. Gamblers are Jakchai Casinotone and Kamm Kulkornpat Potongnak and ‘Do The Disco’ is a bass-heavy foot-shuffler with surprising textural vocal depth and breadth.
- ‘Into The Sky’ – Vivid Dream. Retro-synth wash that takes the wide-screen view of a slow-motion collision between shoegazing and dream-pop.
- ‘Share Those Tear’ – Minus88. Minus88 are an electronic super-group featuring Jakchai Casinotone, Ned from Naked/Astronaught and Pae from Morg. ‘Share Those Tear’ is confessional via electronica with an urgency to the underlying rhythm that ratchets up the tension levels. Get the album when it comes out!
- ‘Kowloon’ – UNDA. Atmosphere-heavy beats and raps from Naked/Astronaught contributor UNDA. As an epic sonic tribute to Hong Kong’s Nine Dragon Peninsula, it’s intense…
- ‘Love of My Life’ – Funky Wah Wah. Another long-time stalwart of the scene, Funky Wah Wah deliver a vocoder-based lullaby lounge number that serves as an effective album coda.
Comet Records recording artist UNDA is performing a 2nd Anniversary party on June 19th, 2015 at Overground Bar & Cafe with Afrika Islam and Wasabi Bytes. For more info, click here.